Thursday, April 9, 2015

Which do you prefer?

Do you like working with smaller 6" blocks or larger 12" blocks?  
Last September I joined a Saturday Sampler with my quilty friend, giving no thought to the fact that we'd be making our blocks for a charm pack....until it came to bringing my sampler home each month and I found myself NOT happily sewing. I know, probably wierd, but the 6" blocks became increasingly frustrating for me. They don't turn out quite right. Then I'm always disappointed. I also started to not like my "busy" background. What's a girl to do?
..
Well, this girl, decided to change things up. I switched to the 12" block pattern included on our patterns&changed my background to a bright white fabric with a textured swirl design: 
I love this Bloomin' Fresh fabric by Deb Strain.
I'm having so much more fun now. Everything is easy and relaxing now. The cutting is easy. The sewing relaxing. So to answer my own question...I'm definitely a 12"block girl. 

I love my new blocks. I'm reminding myself that this IS a sampler. So along with playing with block sizes, I find myself  learning to contrast colors and patterns in the fabrtics...balancing solids, fabric patterns and contrasting colors. I already threw the other two 6" blocks away (LOL!...told ya they frustrated me!) and will probably use these "survivors" on the back. But I'm rejuvinated for my monthly Saturday Sampler. I have three more blocks to "enlarge" this week...then I'll be all caught up. I love that I'm learning and having fun on this little quilty journey we're all on. I can't wait to get the other three blocks done after work today.

21 comments:

  1. I fidget when doing large - happy when doing small. If working larger blocks is what puts you in your happy place - go large!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like working with both size blocks. It gives an effective design when you mix a 6" block with plain squares with 2012" blocks.,make your own design. Have fun.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It so depends on what mood I am in at the time, LOL!! I like your choice of a plain background better than the busy one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Val!
    That's what it's all about! Doing what you like to do! Enjoy! Relax! Create what feels right! Your blocks look great!
    Take care,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. To each her own. Go for what you enjoy. NO need to struggle with something you aren't happy with. If smaller takes the joy out of it then of course larger is for you. I like all sizes of blocks, but it depends on what I am making. I won't make a block smaller than 3" because those are really a struggle, unless it's an applique block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Bloomin' Fresh fabrics! I used some for my Sweet William blocks. Our quilting is supposed to be enjoyable, not work, so do what you enjoy and have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy looking at your blocks... but I prefer to work small. I guess we aren't the twins we thought we were...LOL
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree-sewing or any craft is suppose to be fun-and if it is not fun-then no point. I do not like the small blocks either-or small pieces period for putting a quilt together, I enjoy working with larger pieces too. I love the less busy background as well-I never use white-I have always used an off white or something else-but that's me--your colors really pop now-hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like any size block but not super tiny! I love both your size blocks and your fabrics look wonderful. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a small block girl. In fact, I used to make miniatures with 1/8 inch seam allowance. It was fun, and I got LOTS of quilts finished that way, but I'm not sure if my eyes would like to do that again. Now that I've said I like small, just want you to know that I'm getting ready to make a quilt with a 40-inch block in it. I'm a little scared. It seems like it will be easy to get it out of square. I do like your bigger blocks with the crisp white background. It will be fun to see the whole quilt. Make whatever makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. girl! I am a big block girl all the way. I don't enjoy working with teeny tiny pieces at all! Love the colors in these, Val!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say mix 'em up. Variety is the spice of life...or so I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How smart to switch the size then Val. Whatever makes you happy and leads to enjoying the process, that's the wise thing to do! The new and the old blocks all look great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'Big' is always beautiful! Love your blocks, Val; they pack a colourful punch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find I have more difficulty with larger blocks so I'm definitely a 6" kind of girl. Your sampler quilt is going to be another beauty. Love all the happy colours you are using!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like the sampler is serving it's purpose - teaching you skills and you're learning what you fits you best. A win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find the larger blocks come together for me too. I hate that our LQS closed because I loved the Saturday Sampler classes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like working with 6" blocks, personally. I really don't know why. You're right though - it has to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like big blocks, I cannot lie ;) I also find them much easier to keep square. I just finished a quilt that had 4 30" finished blocks. I have never had a quilt come out more square! The quilt that was my most favorite to make was the giant star quilt - one block = quilt. LOVE that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like you, I think bigger is better! I especially love quilts with giant blocks. I have made three giant star quilts. Love them. :) And 16 inch pinwheels? Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Actually I like them both, 6" forces me to slow down and be mindful which is good for me sometimes and 12" is all about getting it done. Mixing them both in the same quilt is just plain good times all around!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...