Thursday, May 28, 2015

HMQS Inspiration: FMQ

Why hello friends. Today is the final post in my HMQS Inspiration Series. 
I was completely inspired by Helen and Jenny who developed the Curve-It Up rulers and blog at Sew Kind of Wondeful.  After taking their two hour lecture class, I left with a "can do" attitiude!
They taught us to look at the negative space and not just fill it in, but to echo your peicing:

They taught about point to point quilting and 

to use repeated patterns as fillers. 

They also recommended just quilting one block at a time. 

I really liked their teaching style. Jenny would demonstate the techniques on the longarm, projected onto a big screen as Helen sketched the same elements on a large poster paper. It was so easy to follow along and learn. Boy, if ya ever get a chance to take one of their classes, I can't imagine anyone walking away disappointed. Our blog buddy Barb even won the class sample! (Hop over to see how she has already applied our lessons. Her quilting on this Christmas Quilt is beautiful!)

I know this little sampler pattern that came free with the cutting ruler is one of the first sewing/quilting projects on my summer to do list! It will be the perfect sewing machine mat.

My class lessons made my tour of the quilts much for educational. I found myself looking at others creative work with a new eye for negative space.  Here's a few of my favorites:



And who wouldn't want this one hanging in their sewing room!
I hoped you enjoyed my little series of inspiration as much as I enjoyed writing them. It was helpful for me to "process" all that was seen and learned in just a few days here on the ol' blog. Please do stay tuned as in June I'll have time to start applying my lessons learned to my own quilting. I can't wait! .

8 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have been able to take a class with Jenny and Helen and thanks for sharing their approach to the quilting. Oh to be able to take a class with them. I have made the free pattern in Christmas fabric but it was not that well executed so I need to make another. Visited Barb's blog and what a great job she has done on the Christmas quilt and what fun it must've been meeting up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, all that quilting is amazing! I have loved your posts on HMQS Inspiration series. They are truly inspirational. I think if I could quilt like any of these quilters, I would be one very happy gal. My oh my the sewing machine quilt is unbelievable...mind blowing, actually! I can't wait to see how you apply what you have learnt in quilting your next quilts. It does sound like it will be oodles of fun, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so love to be able to quilt like this - gorgeous. I visited Barb's blog and - WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautifully quilted and my oh my those curved pieces are so accurate, some lovely quilts you have shared today

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this. It sounds like a great class, and now I want to make one of those curved runners. I have yet to actually open my ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fabulous class. Thanks so much for sharing the series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilting! Sounds like you got a lot out of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...