Wednesday, May 17, 2017

2017 Classroom Quilt: Preparations

Call me crazy....but I spent yesterday after work prepping the many quilt squares needed for me and my cooperating teacher to make classroom quilts with our second graders. I'm using a cotton muslin of which I cut into SIXTY 9"inch squares and then ironed to freezer paper for stability.
As you can imagine, to prepare sixty blocks created quite the "train":
 A quick short-cut: the freezer paper is 18inches wide...so the 9"square blocks fit perfectly upon it and left minimal cutting, that was quick to accomplish. But, never the less, Jackson was beginning to look at me in wonderment of just how long this "train" was going to be!  
So with the squares now prepped and the fabric markers having arrived, I just need to finish preparing the thematic pictures for the students to trace. (This year we are creating a themed quilt based on our reading units from the year. Thus, we will be using preprinted pictures for the students to trace and color onto the fabric.) I hope if any of you want to make a quilt with little ones in your life, this series over the next couple of weeks will give you some inspiration and quick tricks.
I have to admit, if we're going to have snow make-up days through June 9th, 
this is a fun project that makes the extended year fun!
Stay tuned as next week the kids begin their creative part.

Val's Quilting Studio

14 comments:

  1. Val- What a fun project. I have done this with the kids before. It is really fun for them to see it turn into an actual quilt! I am looking forward to seeing their work. Glad you have come up with a way to fill your time. K- lkw2x6-apq@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! I look forward to following this process and seeing the kid's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How smart to have such an interesting project to help push through those extra days. I admit, I had forgotten how many days you all missed for snow and I was marveling at your ambition to start this now. Of course, you're smarter than that! Look forward to your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful project for those students - you put so much into your projects. This will be such a fun project to watch progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is going to be great watching the kids progress on these blocks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val!
    That was a winter to remember!
    Looks like this will be a lot of fun!
    Looking forward to see how this develops on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is quite the "train" I can see some fun in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see how this unfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun project. Looking forward to seeing all those pretty colored pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be watching this! What are your plans for the quilt when completed? Hanging in the classroom for inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so fantastic that you are doing this project with your students! Tell me again what grade you teach? Also, I just noticed that you've scheduled a birthday giveaway for next Tuesday. Is your birthday the 30th? Mine is the 27th. Happy Birthday to Us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice school project. Looking forward to seeing it all finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea for a school year-end project! Are you planning to finish the quilts before the summer break? Whether finished now or over the summer, the finished quilts will make a special backdrop for a welcome-back-to-school celebration event in the Fall. Ooh, maybe even an in-school quilt show!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...