Monday, January 13, 2014

Play! My word for 2014!

My "word" for 2014 is:
This little sampler measures 12" x 20". I need to make more sampler quilts as this was fun!!  
Play (verb) is defined as: 

 to engage in an activity for enjoyment and recreation rather than a serious or practical purpose.  Synonyms: amuse oneself, entertain oneself, enjoy oneself, have fun.

    Double Thumbs Up!
Looks like I'm off to a good start as I made this little sampler over the weekend and realized that I truly got caught up in "playing" when my husband came home from work Sunday and said: "You still playing with that thing?"

This little sampler represents everything I want to incorporate into my quilts this year: perle cotton, wool, ribbon, "made fabric", scraps, creative stitching, charms, long-arm quilting, fun binding, dimensional pieces, 3-D flowers. I'm sure there will be more, but ya get the picture.

So what do you find yourself wanting to play with as you quilt this year? For more "word" inspiration, click this "share" picture. Curious if you have a "word" this year? Is so, do share!

  1. NEW CHALLENGE

13 comments:

  1. Way to play! You're off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. Pretty. Sweet. Talented. Fun! All these words describe your little quilt!
    I want to PLAY too! Thanks for sharing Val!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cute and fun! I love letters and your happy colours! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way cute! Looks like you had a good time playing in your stash and pieces drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is wonderful Val, I want to make some smaller projects this year that are useful for me at home like cushion covers and mug rugs, smaller projects allow us to explore new more difficult techniques in a faster project to boost our confidence and maximize our learning! In between those I want to 'utilize' what I have in my stash, so I think utilize is my 2014 word, how very practical of me lol. I think I need to play ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! Making a mini quilt of your word is such a good idea too. What a fun way to explore what the word means to you, and to have it in front of you all year long. Have fun playing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute with all the adorable buttons and such!! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great, Val! It looks like you're off to a great start on your word! I think if I had to pick a word for 2014, it would be "Design." Lately, I've tried to focus my energy on designing original patterns and sketching them out. It's a side of quilting I haven't given a ton of thought to until recently and I've really enjoyed it!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Val, great word of the year. Love all your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh just love this so much. I need to make one with my word which is "commitment". I just bought that book 15 minutes of play this week. I like your stitching and fun detail on your sampler. It's a playful representation of PLAY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat idea to make a quilt with your word of the year! I chose "Explore'"for my word. You have inspired me to make my word into a quilt and to 'explore' a new techinque in doing it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! PLAY is my word for the year, too! Oh, I think I like you, lol! In fact, I think I will become a follower! :) I have been wanting to make a little PLAY banner to hang in my sewing room but haven't gotten myself organized to do it yet. I love yours! So fun.

    Here's my PLAY post if you're interested: http://www.nitadances.com/index.php/2014/01/01/cheers-for-a-playful-2014/

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...