Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sunday Organizing: Fabric Scraps

The FIRST looming question is:  When does our precious fabric even be considered a scrap or (I even hate to say it) get thrown away?! For me, anything LESS that a 10 inch square is considered a "scrap". Note: most my fabric collection is in fat quarters. When I really like something or I'm going to use it for background in my piecing, then I purchase yardage. But most of the time, I "collect" fabric by the fat quarter and "purchase" fabric yardage specific to projects. 

The SECOND looming question is: How do you store your scraps? For me: I have not one, but three answers:

Number One:

When I am finished with a project and my leftover fabric is large enough to cut into 1 1/2", 2" or 2 1/2" strips, I will rotary cut the fabrics and toss them into the little red bucket it matches. (I found these little red buckets at a dollar store about three years ago.)

The buckets are organized by color. Blue, Purple, Red...

Orange, Yellow, Green...

Brown, Black and White.

Yes, I'm saving up to make myself a very scrappy quilt!! 
Each bucket is labeled using a DYMO label:

Number two:

If when I'm finished with a project and the scraps aren't really long enough to cut into strips and are LESS than a 10" x 10" square, then I throw them into a basket. This is the fabric I " play with".  



I'm not a "small piece" quilter. The only time I really even work with small pieces is when I'm creating "Out of the Box" like this:

Number Three:

If I have a WIP, then I store each (because I never just have one!) project's scraps in a gallon size ziploc bag. I don't throw any fabric away until I'm done with a project. Since I also love to applique, I have found that I just don't know when that little piece will be needed!
So now it's your turn: 
1. When do you consider a piece of fabric a scrap? 
2. How do you store your scraps?
Preview
With smiles,
Val:)

9 comments:

  1. Val, I'll be linking up but probably a little later this week. That said, your storage system is so cute! Mine is much more utilitarian, as you'll see... But then, I have a whole lot more scraps than you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I can't wait to see your scrap storage!!! I just spent 3 hours organizing the remains of my "scrapbooking" life to donate to a women's shelter...so I'm going to have more room for fabric very soon! YAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have many scraps, but, as of today, they are filed away in a filing cabinet.

    I'm not really a fan of scraps. I can't imagine that I would ever get around to working with something too small and fiddly. I suppose I would also count anything around the size of a 10 inch square or smaller as scrap. And anything under 2 inches as rubbish, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Val, sharing scrap storage and organization ideas. I love yours! Mine is very basic atm and I don't have a room exclusively for sewing, but my methods grow and adapt with every quilt as the scrap stash gets larger :) I have added you button to my page too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... I'm nowhere near as organised as you! I don't have many scraps but they're all just randomly chucked in a plastic crate! I'm off to read all the posts and see how I can do better :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have way to many scraps that I am mailing them to the UK from the US to a group of girls that are part of a "young quilters" group! I have started trying to implement Bonnie Hunters suggested cutting of scraps into useful sizes which are then stored by size which so far include: : 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3.5 and squares: 2, 2.5, 3, 4 and 5 Bricks: 2 X 3.5, 2.5 X 4.5 and 3.5 X 6.5. here is a link to her article on this http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml GREAT INFO on her site if you like scrappy quilts then you will find numerous free patterns.Personally I don't like a scrappy look so that is my dilemna why save if I will not use them?!?! I have been recently utilizing her methods of cutting them up and storing them in plastic tubs by the cut size. I also have those hanging closet organizers that I was using to store scraps by color in baskets I made out of scraps for each particular color in scraps of that color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a scrappy quilter so I have LOTS of them. Actually, I use everything up in one way or another. I have a cardboard rectangle measuring 4x9.5 that I wrap fabric around. Any fabric that'll fit all the way around it, really. I secure each piece with a safety pin. I used to use straight pins until I got poked one too many times touching the stash. :) Scraps the next size down end up in my plastic scrap bins which are sorted by color, except for the novelty fabrics, batiks, and solids bins. Anything 1-4" on at least one side goes into my crumb quilting box. I piece these bits together into blocks and make quilts with this "made fabric." The smallest pieces, where it's unreasonable to expect two 1/4 inch seams, go into a fabric pillowcase. The pillows, once full, get sewn shut and donated to a homeless shelter. www.quiltartbymegan.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great ideas on keeping those scraps organized Val. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...