Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Four Patch Baby Blanket

Soooo I tried that layer cake pattern I highlighted for our Tuesday Archives Four Patch Linky.
Okay....first, it was quick. I had this little quilt top finished in three hours and I love how scrappy cute it came out.  But then I found myself  "all charged up" to just get it done. I thought: "Oh man, I'll have this made into a little throw blanket by the end of the day." I was envisioning something between a receiving blanket and a quilt. So proud to be trying something new, I pieced some leftover red minky from my stash (this is not the new part btw), threw on my Quilting Queen Cape and boldly ventured forward as I decided to just quilt the top and back together without any batting. Easy Peasy. "I was going to have this one done in no time!" I thought...
Measures 36" x 42"
HAHAHAHA! Oh that Quilting Queen Cape disintegrated pretty quick! Envision quilt falling to ground as rivet breaks on long-arm frame, midway through row one of pantograph. Hour later, I return from quit ladies house with new part. Frame fixed. Quilt reloaded. I restart confident I can still create "my quilt in a day!" HAAHAHAHAA!! Half way through second of only three rows of a panatograph I might add, long-arm stops working all of sudden. Need a new power cord. Have to wait till next day for new one. Anyone else seeing Murphy's Law coming into action here?? LOL!!
Funny, as I sit here writing this post, no quilting queen cape in sight, I am grateful that my "mission" was still accomplished.   I mean, I really  do like the "weight" of the blanket. Since I didn't use batting, it "feels" like a blanket that will definitely be cozy soft for wrapping a wee baby in...just like a receiving blanket. But, it's more wrinkly than I really like. The red minky came up through the stitches...I'm thinking this is because there was no batting??  I think the quilting may have been too dense and now in reflection,  probably just a stitch in the ditch between the squares would have been fine. But, it all came out in the wash and there was no color run!! YEAH! As I tell my students (Note: they are only seven), we learn what we like and don't like, by trying new things. So, Okay, okay,  my simple, "make a quilt in a day" didn't happen but I learned that I like my flannel receiving blankets just fine and my quilts made with batting. Oh! and I don't need that Quilting Queen Cape.  Time certainly is not wasted when lessons are learned and our strengths are reaffirmed. Besides, this will make a cute baby gift for a co-worker or school auction basket. So it'a a win-win. Lucky for me:
Happiness is:
I'm sure I'll feel rejuvenated after a walk with my buddy. Thanks for sharing my adventure with me.
Val's Quilting Studio

12 comments:

  1. Murphy's Law - dissolves that super cape in no time. Cute pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the way it always is????? It turned out so well in the end. I have done a few with just the minky and feel the same way. I like the looks better with a light layer of batting, but it is nice to have the blanket feel to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun pattern with neat colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So long as you learn something from the things you do, they are worth doing. Now you know what you don't like, and still have a cute blanket to show for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alls well that ends well! It's still a super cute blanket. I haven't quilted w/minky but now I know I'll use batting when I do. I've made a couple of these 4 step flagstone quilts. I love Jera's patterns. I recently made a receiving blanket though I did a cotton/flannel combo. I have a ton of flannel, so my next ones will be double flannel. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a pain with log arm but you got there in the end. I used fleece with batting recently on a play mat so cosy but did not like the stretch in it would think twice before using it again

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet little quilt. What a pain that you had so much trouble with your machine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't used minky as a backing, but I use fleece as a backing without batting all the time and I love it! Great weight, soft for cuddling, easier to layer (I don't have a long arm), and frankly cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel your pain! Any time I think I can knock something out quickly, things seem to go off the rails instead. It may have been a challenging process, but the quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It did turn out super cute! Sorry you had so many problems with the machine. I do get the fibers poking through even with batting. I figure the minky is still worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to read that you are looking at this in a positive light instead of being upset over the speed bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Murphy's Law comes into play when we least expect it. Congrats on a fun finish with a lesson learned along the way.

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...