Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Be Kind to YOURSELF

Hello Hello my fellow blogging friends!!

I came to realize that it's almost been FOUR months since I've even blogged.
Yet, after getting my hair cut today and chit chatting with my hairstylist...
(I just LOVE getting my pixie cut...especially with the onset of Summer!)
 
...I was inspired to write this post...as for the first time during this pandemic I felt like I wasn't alone in finding myself needing to navigate unknown terrain yet internally frustrated in NOT finding comfort and motivation in all that use to motivate me. For example, when this pandemic started I had  an ambitious list of all the things I was going to accomplish with this new found time on my hands....especially when school "officially" let out in June! BIG plans I had listed, because there was nowhere to go and nothing to interrupt my progress. Yet, in four months I've only "loaded" a test quilt onto the frame and completed a quilt top started six years ago (Well, I guess THAT's an accomplishment isn't it! LOL!)  But, the sewing room more often than not, remains dark:
There are honestly moments where I feel as if I'm failing this "stay at home" thing after being so use to an active work/social "routine". Why don't I want to quilt like I use to??? My hairstylist and I talked about this...as she is going through the same thing! We're both use to feeling productive. We both have ambitious list that we have NOT gotten to...nor do we care! We have found comfort in new hobbies. Hers has been bullet journaling and pen pal lettering. Mine has been my Sue Spargo Homegrown stitching:
I L O V E this project. I was able to sew during my school ZOOM meetings and continue to enjoy working on it, now that school is "out for the summer". The bright happy colors, creative stitching offer relaxation and fun!  It's not overwhelming. It's a perfect distraction from the news that at this very moment fills my background announcing: "Will face masks be on student's back to school lists?" It calms any anxiousness as like you, it seems like daily we are trying to navigate an unknown terrain. A text from my principal just dinged reminding me of our "blueprint" meeting as we as our school's leadership team, begin to outline the reopening of school in the Fall according to ODE orders. (We hope!!) I will begin my 32nd year as an educator in a very new normal that's for sure!

My hairstylist and I talked about how we just need to show up with kindness. PERIOD.
And not only for others but I'm here to say, for yourself as well!  My mind and body shout daily: "Fresh air! Fresh air! Exercise" so I have been intentional about that. I'm trying new things and added a different variety to my fitness regiment. I'm trying yoga. I bike ride. I walk. I golf.
I'm being kind to myself. I finally gave myself permission to NOT accomplish anything at all if that's how I'm feeling. My number one priority has been to be healthy and take good care of myself. And I'm doing that. I do exercise a minimum of an hour a day. I eat well. Annnnddd, I even sleep in a little longer if I awake and being under a cozy quilt makes lingering a little longer rejuvenating. 
But I also give myself permission to stay in my PJ's all day long! As often it's discouraging to continue to keep a calendar that has actually morphed into a document of everything that I didn't get do and people I didn't get to be with. Of course, that makes me sad.
List of 60+ IT events cancelled/postponed/going virtual due to ...
So I guess what I wanted to share, is if you feel like you have no idea what you are doing, if you feel like you are failing at this stay at home thing, know you are not alone. You DON'T have to do it all. You don't have to clean the kitchen drawers. You don't have to learn anything new or even accomplish something. Nope. You don't, Just BE. Reach out to a friend to let them know you are thinking of them. Go for a walk. Watch an old movie.  But know you are doing the best you can in this moment you are in. And honestly, THAT in itself is incredible! BE safe. BE healthy. BE present. BE happy. Yes! Even if it means staying in your jammies all day!
With SMILES! Val

Bitmoji Image


11 comments:

  1. This was a lovely post. Thank you for sharing your experience and offering encouragement. Some of the best days in life are spent in PJs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a schedule and list, but I do not get upset if things don't get done. I just need a little 'order' just so I can remember what day it is. Not a lot changed for me as I stayed much to home with caring for my Mom. It was all the cancelled quilt shows and my travel teaching that got cancelled. I had looked forward to a little time out and about. And jammy days happen here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear how you are going! I'm happy if I achieve one thing each day from my to-do list and it all adds up. Lives and interests evolve over time, pandemic times are bound to have an affect on is all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear from you, Val. As I've been retired for 6 years, my schedule hasn't changed much at all, the the uncertainty of how long this will go on and the cultural war that has intensified because of it has made this time emotionally trying. All I can do is take one day at a time. Your Sue Spargo project looks charming.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear an update from you, Val! We're on the same page that being kind to one and all is so important in these new and uncertain times. Love your new project, so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to see your post in my inbox. I, too, have been like you. I had lists of things to do, but haven't the mental energy to get to them. I haven't blogged since April 7! I found a tub of 7 quilt tops while cleaning last week. I am taking them to the longarm quilter today. I'll tell her NO RUSH! I have decided I want to focus on myself and my family right now (haven't seen them in person for months and won't for many more). I'm letting my hair grow longer and when I get it cut I want a midsize cut, but love your pixie! Take care and enjoy the activities your are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, inertia has set in here as well, and nothing has been happening. Welcome back, good post, love your haircut, you are slim enough to handle it, but I'm more fluffed out and have a couple of cowlicks in back which show up when my hair was that short. i.e. looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm confused. You talked about the start of your 32nd year as an educator. Emails from your principal. Are you retired or not??? About those quilt projects... They will still be there when you feel ready to tackle them. Until then, enjoy your slow stitching, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so with you Val. I haven't blogged for over a month, haven't sewn for 3 weeks... I am still working and come home and sit.
    Life will go on...
    Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The strain and stresses are definitely playing a role in how everyone is doing these days. There are good days and bad. Love your Home Town stitching project. Do what brings you joy and don't worry too much about the other "stuff" is pretty sage advice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear from you again, Val! And thanks for validating that it’s okay not to accomplish. I have finally come to the same conclusion and find that the little I do choose to do is more enjoyable as a result. Your house project is adorable and fitting.i have not been brave enough to venture out for a haircut, but since it’s been nearly 8 months (I missed an appt in January due to illness and then dragged my feet rescheduling until I literally couldn’t go), my hair is now below my shoulders and long enough to wear in a ponytail in the heat, so I guess it will stay that way. I will be thinking of you as you navigate the realities of the upcoming school year. Stay safe, and thanks for your positivity!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...