Today I'm linking up with those of you at Fluster Buster's Creative Muster and Really Random Thursday...because I got frustrated and my creative muster was affected.(Darn it!) But I learned a little more about myself.(That's good!)and this post may seem a little random. (That's okay)
So here it is:
Mid August always finds me in happy anticipation of Fall. You know that feeling that it's just right around the corner. For me, I find myself in transition and contemplation of what "I want the new year to be". Whether you are a teacher like me, or a parent with kiddos on there way back to school (I hear you out their exclaiming your hurrays...LOL!!) or a neighbor that see's the school buses starting up again, you have to admit there is just something about Fall and it's seasonal celebration of change and fresh beginnings.
|Yes! I give up mowing for collecting all these leaves. |
For the most part, my Summer Goals are accomplished.
And I now as I head back to school, I find myself thinking about my quilting a lot and the new lists I'm starting to make. Yes, I LOVE lists! I love making them. I love the checking and crossing out (See above...hahahaha) I love the feeling of being organized. But sometimes, I need to remind myself that life is not a race, but a process and a journey to be enjoyed.
Here is an example:
Yes, this WAS my Hexi in Halves lap size quilt top, but yesterday I had a day I haven't had in a long time: quilting was just darn frustrating! And, I stubbornly DIDN'T walk away "because I wanted to get it done" and it now measures a square 45x45! (Serious...what was I thinking!) LOL! I admit it's still cute but I made this quilt for myself...I'm 5'10"...so that is not going to work.
With that said, I KNOW I am not going to make a metaphorical change in personality here. I AM a multi-tasker. I AM a list maker. I AM a person who always has three things going on at once. I get that. I KNOW I need to slow down sometimes (My mom has been telling me this for 40 something years. My daughter just told me this yesterday!) Hahahaha...I'm actually laughing at myself right now.
But it is the process of life that matters the most. So I did this to remind myself :
Check this out: I am Number 899!!!!
Click to read about it:
But here's the thing. (See my About Me page: I DID say I'm a Life Enthusiast) I enjoy being creative and busy. I don't sit around well. I never have. So as my Hexi quilt shrunk from a lap size to a cute little square...in my frustration and disappointment...when I found myself questioning why I even quilt and blog about it... I learned a little more about myself and actually the answers to those "whys":
Here is my "list": (LOL!)
- Quilting sustains me. It helps me through the time I need to be alone. It helps me with life's transitions.
- It connects with creative people like you. Whether it be quilting, blogging, or going to a sewing class...I love the people I meet!
- I'm learning to not be so hard on myself...so what if a lap size quilt ended up a square!
- I'm blogging to document my journey and collect friends...not comments. (Though comments do help. Comments are like little cheerleaders that help us connect and smile...but just because a post doesn't receive any comments, I'm learning that is okay too.)
- I love that quilts wrap around those I love and are sustainable.
- I love the look on someones face when I have made them a quilt as a gift.
- I'm learning I like to do things at my pace. I have learned I loose my creative flow when I take classes or do quilt alongs... I do end up "wanting to get er done".
- I'm finding more and more, I don't want to follow patterns. I just want to create!
- I will make enough quilts to fill my house and those of loved ones if I want...as quilts are my way of sharing a piece of me with them...they are each a work of my heart!
PS: Thanks for reading my long, random post! I'm not so flustered anymore!