Thursday, March 12, 2015

Metro Rings: Lessons Learned

I had my final class last night to learn how to create my Metro Rings and 
accomplished my goal of completing one ring: (Phew!)
These blocks are 10" squares.
With that said, it's been a few years since I have taken a class, thus I learned a little bit about myself and what this quilt is going to teach me: 
  1. A new patience: Seriously, Val, S L O W D O W N! (LOL!) This quilt is not going to be done this weekend, nor this month. I will enjoy the process. I may even pull out my featherweight and set this project up in it's only special place as it will take focus and soft, slow sewing. (Are you reading between the lines that I may have a heavy foot on the pedal!!! LOL!!) I'm looking forward to this. I want my seams to be better. 
  2. Use the right tools: I had the wrong foot on my machine (What! I shouldn't take night classes!) Well, atleast I know why my seams were beginning to be a "slant" bigger than the desired 1/4".
  3. Be confident: I'm so right brained (Creative) and always find myself unconsiously comparing myself to others when I take a class. Especially when the ladies on my right AND left side had perfectly curved seams. So, as my inadequacy started to creep in, I confidently asked the teacher to review my 24 strip sets I had prepared and to give me constructive input. (That's why I was taking a class....right!?)She was wonderfully reassuring and I realized I was just being too hard on myself as I only have to redo 5 of the 24. I felt great! 
  4. Remember: Once the the top is quilted and washed, most of my errors I see under the magnified view of our sewing machine will disappear. (LOL!) I do think like that!!
  5. Learn:  Enjoy the process. This is going to be a WIP. Thus the post title: Metro Rings:__________ as I'm sure I'm going to need more therapeutic posts like today! But that's okay...I like the challenge.
Quite honestly though, I'm looking forward to this process with the goal of slowing down and improving my seams. Besides, I have some long-arm projects, hand stitching, spring yard work and probably an easy piecing project to balance things out. Oh And Spring Break!

19 comments:

  1. I am also a lead foot when I sew! My hubby calls me Maria Andretti. Some projects are not quick--I had a wool felt project that took me over 8 years, but I love it still. This will be stunning in the end. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, your metro ring quilt is going to be spectacular! The colors are so bright and fun! I have to say, your seams look pretty darn good to me! Good for you for taking on this challenge. I'll be honest, this one scares me and I have done curved piecing. . . that doesn't scare me as much as matching up all those seams!! LOL

    You? Heavy footed on the pedal?? I never would have guessed!! ;) Getting the Featherweight out sounds like a fabulous idea! I'm looking forward to watching this top grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your lessons learned. I feel like I learn something with every quilt. Enjoy the process of this work in progress. I have to remind myself that some projects take time, even though fast finishes are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of things in this post really stand out for me - #1 - Slow Down, what's the rush this is supposed to be a hobby not a life or death experience. I have to tell myself this every time I sit down at the sewing machine. #2 - Comparing myself to others. When did I get the message that I was so inadequate? Probably at my mother's knee but it's time to leave that behind. I am not in a competition I am on a journey and the journey is the point not the destination. Thanks for the reminder Val.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going to be a wonderful process Val! That block looks terrific! i sew slowly most of the time out of necessity, but it does help you enjoy and notice more as you go along. I like what Patrica wrote about the journey... although we sure enjoy the destination too. I find that when i fall into comparing myself with others that it is somewhat paralyzing, so try not to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, it is gorgeous and I don't see anything wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blocks. Taking classes is such fun and you definitely learned a lot, not just about technique, but about your style as well. I'm so jealous you get spring break, I still have to work next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Val, this is so pretty! Love all the dots. Sometimes learning is soooo hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know a lot of the time I sit down at the machine and want the project done. I think that is one reason I like hand work you cannot finish it in a day. You figured that out right away and because you did you will enjoy the process. I love how you put colors together. That pop of black is perfect. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this pattern, but have yet to try it, Val, so reading your account of the class made me chuckle. I am pedal to the metal and lets get it done!! I remember a class I was in with an Australian tutor and she remarked 'I can't believe how fast you Kiwis sew"!! Love the dots and have so many I may have to try this combination as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great to me! I have a curved piecing pattern on my To Do List. You learn lots and then you can teach me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. On the other hand don't slow down to my speed. I am the slowest sewer in the class at any class, and end up so far behind that I am scrambling to try to follow what is said. Add being hard of hearing (read pretty deaf!) to the mix and I am often frustrated in a class situation. Nice block you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, I feel soooo much better that I'm not the only "petal to the medal" sewer, anxious to see what the quilt looks like when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great lessons Val. I particularly need to learn #1. I find that I have so many projects that I want to get to that I rush through them and do not enjoy the process. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a hobby, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally guilty of lead-footing it when I sew. I want things done! I'm about to enter the slow-zone though, and I'll have to keep referring back to this post. You've hit them all, spot on. And your ring looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...sounds like what was going through my head in the classes I took at QuiltCon. I blasted through the sewing so much that the instructor once was hesitant to get near me! And I am definitely guilty of criticizing my work particularly when surrounded by so much talent. All that said, I love taking classes and learning from others!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There seems to be a rush to tick off projects completed, no matter how small or simple they might be--almost like carving notches on a gun!
    Congratulations to you for taking the time to inspire us all by improving your craftsmanship! Love your palatte.
    Cwoosley12@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's important to post about the things that go wrong, like seams that need unpicking and restitching. Quilting is process-driven more than it is goal-oriented, because if we just wanted a finished quilt as fast as possible we could just go out and BUY ONE for instant gratification! Fortunately our brains are wired for learning new things every day, and we are guaranteed to get better and better, so long as we never give up. I think your Metro Rings block looks fantastic, by the way. Kudos to you for pushing yourself outside your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...