Friday, March 27, 2015

Stay-cation Day 7: My Rainbow Pinwheel Quilt is FINISHED!

My Rainbow Pinwheel Quilt is done!! YAH!!!!! There is so much I like about this quilt...yet, with that said, it's one I admittably wish I had a little girl to gift it to. As I finished the binding and flowers I found myself daydreaming of a future grand-daughter falling in love with it, begging me to take it home. (And of course, I'd say: " absolutely!") Until then, this quilt filled my love of polka-dots! It was so much fun to create....
This quilt measures 52"x72".

Like one reader previously commented, this quilt is like a bowl full of jellybeans!

I think she is right! So let me share some quilty treats with you. 
First, the flowers! I've always wanted to do this "flower technique" on a pinwheel quilt and it seemed perfected "fitted" for this quilt.The flowers are made using two layers of raw cut fabric rounds, then those are clipped along the edge every 1/2" or so. Finally, add a yoyo flower and button and you got it! This the what the flowers look like before they are washed: 

This is what the "flowers" look like after being washed...
Don't you just love how crinkly and a bit frayed they are!!

The next treat is the quilting.
I couldn't resist using my cupcake pantograph:




 Especially because this is what the back looks like:
I was disappointed to not have enough of the cupcake fabric for the backing. But this entire quilt was made from my stash, so I kept auditoning pieces from my stash until I found that white polka-dot fabric in the center. (Which corrdinates with the sprinkles on the cupcakes.)

The last treat is the "made fabric" that's in the pinwheels. The leftovers were used to create those fun circles I added to the back. I think both the front and back now have that  fun, whimsical "feel" that compliment eachother!

And if by chance you are wondering where Jackson was this whole "photo shot"...well, I geuss my being home has disrupted his nap schedule and he is not "into" morning photo shoots (As we usually take quilt pictures later in the day after school/work): (BTW, He is actually yawning and strethcing in this picture below. My husband thought he was barking...seriously, what a personality this guy has!!! )
 I can't wait to see what the future holds for it. Need less to say, my "stay-cation" has allowed for some great sewing time. Thanks so much for stopping by and seeing what I'm up to. (I still have three more days off!!) Hopefully I've inspired you to try some "out-of-the-box" techniques on your next quilt as well. Oh! And for a look at a completely different version of this pinwheel pattern, click over to Jasmine's who blogs at Quilt Kisses. I mailed her a copy of this pattern awhile back and am so inspired at how she used the background color in the pinwheels and added cornerstones! I love her clean, fresh look.

29 comments:

  1. Val, this quilt is so totally you. I love it! Enjoying it until you have a granddaughter fall in love with it is a perfect idea. It is so fun to see the two different looks from the same pattern today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you have green grass, ours is a murky brownish olive color. Soon the grass will be greener on this side too. I love everything about this quilt. Oh my, the colors, the brightness, the playfulness with the polka dots and those flowers in the center, I love it all. And if that wasn't enough, you went and put cupcakes on the back!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE. I've enjoyed watching what you've done on your sewcation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great and fun quilt using your fabric so creatively!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a happy quilt Val! I love all the wonderful colors and the playful use of fabrics. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. polkadots and stripey binding - love it! Jackson is looking as photogenic as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lively and fun quilt! I hope you do get a granddaughter one day. I have a friend who made a quilt for a future grandson and a future granddaughter years a ago. I asked her what if you end up with 2 girls or 2 boys? Well lucky her and her positive thinking, she ended up with a girl and boy from her daughter and a boy from her son.So perhaps you too will luck out with a granddaughter too one day. I wish I had a granddaughter too, but I have a grandson and nothing looks hopeful for any more grandchildren, but I am glad and happy to at least have a grandchild at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another finished wow! So joyful, fantastic for a baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a bright and cheerful quilt! The flowers look wonderful after the wash. I hope you do have a little girl to gift this too some day. Thank you for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whimsical quilts are my favorites and yours is awesome, I like your way of making the flowers too! Thanks for sharing, enjoy the rest of your stay-cation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another happy quilt - love the cupcake motifs! Jackson looks like he is screaming "no" as in "no - you can't have it - it's mine"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cheerful quilt for a little girl! Even for a big girl, lol! Can't think of anyone at any age who wouldn't like it. :) and those flower centers are perfect!! I am inspired to,do some on a quilt. Hummmmm.....means starting an entirely new quilt, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jackson! You look like Samson when you stretch! :) tell you mommy to give your ears a big woofle from me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt is absolutely adorable! I love the flowers / yoyo. These are super fun fabrics...any little girl will enjoy it.

    Jackson is handsome even in mid-yawn :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your rainbow pinwheel quilt is spilling over with fun and happiness, Val. Those flowers are cute and your quilting is inspired. 'Tis spotty heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A bowl full of Jelly Beans indeed! this quilt is so darling Val - it's no wonder it has you wishing fora granddaughter! Love the little yoyo flower centers and they look even better after washing. Looks like you have plumb wore Jackson out there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that quilt is a beauty. Anyone who receives it would be very lucky. Love your flowers too they are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How beautiful they all are! Thanks for sharing, and also HI I'm your latest follower. I sure hope you can find time and stop by me, and do the same under my Linky Followers. Thanks and have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything about this quilt is great! I really love it. So glad you had such a nice stay-cation!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this happy quilt! I also love Jack's smile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is really great and I love all the rainbow color goodness. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a bright and happy quilt! I LOVE all the polka dots!

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh it's so cute!! I adore all the polka dots and the jelly bean analogy is just right!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Somehow I missed this one. This one is a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a darling quilt! Vibrant colors and cheer.
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a good idea to use crumbs in other blocks. Self made fabric, then. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like color coordinated crumb blocks. But of course, first I must sort my crumbs... Bowl of Jelly Beans is just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those flowers are adorable. I love how they pop off the quilt. And those colors! Such a happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I remember this one. Loved it then and now lovin' it again! Sew cute.

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...