Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tuesday Archives #35: Irish Chain & Fall Quilts

Welcome to the linky party that let's you rejuvenate your old quilting/sewing posts! 
(Check over in my right margin for the list of our November themes)

Val's Quilting Studio


This week is all about skimming through those archives and finding quilts that showcase your IRISH CHAIN QUILTS/PROJECT and everything and anything that says: FALL


IRISH CHAIN QUILTS: 

Okay here's a blast to the past for you: YES! That's me about, 20 years ago! I found these photos slipped into an old pattern book and started busting up! I mean check out my hair! As I shared here, I'm a cancer survivor and I remember referring to this crazy hair as my million dollar perm. Seriously, it came back in ringlets after my 10 months of chemo. You may have noticed I'm not a long hair gal, but I did enjoy this wild hair for awhile. 
Remember the Mauve days of decorating!! Bahahahaaaaa!!! I made the bunnies too! I geuss you can say, "Crafts have always kept me sane" as these projects kept me busy when I was home sick from chemo or the girls where early to bed in the evenings. My mom still uses this quilt twenty years  later and takes such good care of it.



Fall

I've yet to meet a person who doesn't love the colors and transition of Fall. Last week I saw this wonderful Fall quilt by Shannon who blogs at Modern Tradition Quilts and knew immediately it had to be highlighted this week for our Fall Linky!

10 comments:

  1. Love the old photo - I use to make those bunnies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how good to see a quilt still in use and so well loved, with starting so late I do not think I will be around to see if mine last 20 years, I did not start quilting till i was 65. How wonderful to be a cancer survivor and all those years ago the treatment was not nearly as good as today you certainly wacked it on its head and sent it packing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the treatments. GOd bless all the advancements in treatments and all the fundraising and research so many put towards research. My doctor use to tell me that my treatments will seem barbaic in the future....and I have to agree looking back now! In live in gratitude every single day!

      Delete
  3. My first quilt was an Irish Chain quilt too. Love the photos.. It's nice that your is still in use. Mine is still in the closet. The fabric was pretty cheap, so I'm not sure it would up to much use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...we bought our fabric at a big box store! It has it's rips and worn spots....but that's okay. My mom takes great care of it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for hosting, Val! Your first quilt is huge! What an undertaking!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so funny to look at those old pictures! For a first quilt it was quite a challenge, bravo Val!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished my first quilt in 1993 too, and the Irish chain was one of my firsts (pieced anyway, the hand quilting took years).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The border fabric in your Irish Chain quilt is making me laugh and remember one of the first quilts I ever made out of the same border print. We must have started somewhere near the same time.

    I am working on a post for your link up. See ya again real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Val, I love the picture. I still have my first big girl quilt and we still use it. Browns and blues, yuck! But it is special. It is a trip around the world in a king size.

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...