Monday, January 1, 2018

The Need to CREATE in 2018!

Happy Happy New Year! WOW! 2018!
Boy this time of year finds many of us reflecting and taking inventory of many areas of our lives.
I have found myself doing the very same thing and came to realize that I have not kept an 
"idea/sketch" journal since 2015! I don't even know how that happened...but it did.

Yet, like many of you I'm sure, tons of  unmanifested ideas are always floating around in my little head. I have also found myself  more often than not, wanting to add more originality to my quilts and sewing. So I took some time this New Year's Day and set out to resolve this. I grabbed one of my 5"x 8" Moleskin books, some washi tape, pulled out my old scrapbooking supplies and walla:
YES! 2018 is going to be my year to:
Image result for create word

I want to create more original quilts like THESE. 
I want to create more time IN my studio sewing. 
Thus, I'll be joining Kate's 15 Minutes a Day Challenge.
I want to create monthly goals that will help me empty my stash of kits/projects. 
Thus I'll be setting OMG and linking with everyone at: 
 I also want to continue to create opportunities for my Second Graders to explore sewing/knitting.
I'm in the process of creating a donorschoose.org project and will continue to share updates here on the ol' blog. And finally, I will continue to take good care of myself as I carry on the habits of  healthy meal plans with my hubby, my daily exercise schedule and walks with Jackson, sleeping well, drinking lots of water and green tea (and maybeeee less wine) and well, continue enjoying life.  
Image result for i love me
But most exciting to me, notice these aren't so much goals?  It's weird, with all that said, I've noticed over the past few years, my youthful "goal setting, go-getter" self has gradually morphed into this "self-accepting, content" middle aged woman. I have evolved through this transition finding myself wanting to have a more creative life. I have visions of my studio bursting with new projects. My roles of being defined as a mother and a teacher no longer feed my esteem. My children are grown. I can teach with my eyes shut. (It's been 29 years and though I still enjoy teaching, it just doesn't challenge me anymore.)I like to grow. I like to learn new things. I don't just want to sew quilts anymore, I want to create quilts. (Vivian..I DID order the Growing Gills book you recommended on your blog. Thanks!) But, I seriously have no idea what this is going to look like!  I just know I have this growing desire to be more creative and self-expressive in my sewing process. I know getting back to my sketch book will help. I know the fact that I work full time stands in the way of my creative process but with seven  more years still to go...I need to be more intentional in nourishing my creative heart now! I'm excited about the possibilities and kinda curious what changes will occur. It really is a "Happy Day" and seriously, thank you for joining me as I set out on this journey to evolve as a creative type in 2018. It think it's going to be fun! Well, Happy Happy New Year again and here's wishing you health, happiness and success with your 2018 intentions as well.

I specialize in edge to edge pantographs with over 100 designs to choose from.

Check out my Long-Arm Quilting page for details.
I offer FREE Return Shipping on all quilts in the U.S.A.



8 comments:

  1. Great goals! Now that I know you can do scrapbooks, I want some cards from you for my next Safelight project, LOL!! You can Create in paper this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I look forward to another year of following your blog and enjoying your individual brand of creativity 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post, Val. I'm with you. Most of 2017 was such a distraction for me...all good things, but not much creating. My hope is to be more creative in 2018 also. I'll be cheering you on! Wishing you much health and happiness in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Val!
    Create!
    You're off to a great start this year! Always a joy to read your blog!
    hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl!!!! What a fun and inspiring post. It's easy to put up barriers to our creativity, though some of them (like just not having the energy after work) are real. Good luck on your journey this year, it will be fun to watch (and learn).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you have expressed so many of my thoughts from the past month. I am going to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I look forward to seeing what you create this year.

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...