Monday, December 29, 2014

ALYofF Dec. Layer Cake Finish

Woot Woo! With the continued help of my buddy Jackson, I get to share one more finish for 2014. This time I think the cold really had him wound up, as he kept running all over my quilt as I tried to take pictures! I finally picked him up and said: "stay". 
(I think you can tell by the look in his eyes he got in trouble! LOL! ) 

During our Tuesday Archives Layer Cake Linky, there where a lot of layer cake patterns to choose from as I set out to create a quilt from an Aneela Hoey Cherry Christmas layer cake for my December ALYofF goal. I chose to use this Spinning Pinwheels pattern from Shannon at Modern Tradition Quilts.

 I did modify the sashing, but I just love the BIG  pinwheels in this pattern:

And though I didn't get a good picture of the quilting, as my fingers were getting very cold and I couldn't even think of turning the quilt over as Jackson continued to crazy run and jump around me, I do want to make a personal note that I used a pantograph called: Christmas Cookies. It's very whimsical with trees, snowmen, candy canes, gingerbread men, snowflakes, and hearts dancing across the quilt.

  And here it awaits. I love it's cute little red backing and candy caned stripped binding all pressed, clipped and ready to be stitiched. I'm over the moon happy, as I have family gathering from afar at our house for the week as we come together to celebrate Christmas/New Years. I can't wait to sit next to the fireplace stitiching and visiting with my mom as she knits, the kids as they chill and the grandson as he gets into everything and his mom gets to chase him not me! LOL!
I hope the holiday season finds you surrounded by the love & comfort of friends and family. We've been blessed with a white Christmas and safe family travels. Tomorrow's Tuesday Archives theme is Log Cabins. I hope you'll stop by! Until then, I'm linking up my final finish with everyone else at ALYofF and a few other parties listed on my linky page.
With Smiles,
Val:)

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the finish!!! It is a wonderful Christmas quilt and I am sure you will just love finishing off the binding by the fire. What a great way to end the year. As far as your assistant is concerned.... I understand the 'value' he brings to your photo shoots! LOL. But how could anyone every yell at that face!!!! He's such a cutie!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously...he was running circles ontop of the quilt! It was kinda funny how excited he was!!

      Delete
  2. Love pinwheels and love this quilt! Congrats on another finish for the year! And Jackson's eyes totally show that he might have gotten in a bit of trouble during the photo shoot :) such a photogenic little man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo jackson is too cute! Really should be a doggie model. The JR version of Vanna White, sweeps paw, and THIS lovely quilt was quilted with...
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the beautiful Christmas finish. I love the pinwheels and your cute picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackson is so cute. The quilt is simple, yet it looks elaborate with the textures, colors, pinwheels. Lots going on. You did a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on your finish.... Enjoy your family and friends celebrations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done and enjoy your visit with the family and friends. That is always the best part of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your finish. I didn't even come close to finishing mine. Guess I'll carry it forward to 2015! Lovely quilt - I always enjoy a good pinwheel, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet quilt. Love how you put the lights on it for pictures, so creative. And the binding is just so wonderful. Happy Holidays to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pinwheel quilt! I'm trying to come up with a fun but not too complicated pattern for a baby quilt, and something like Spinning Pinwheels would be perfect. I rooted through my stash this morning but alas, none of those thousands of fabrics will suffice so it's off to the quilt shop as soon as I get some clothes on. Shh -- don't tell my husband! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute pinwheel quilt Val! The layer cake you chose is so sweet. Jackson was just in a very festive spirit, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful finish! Love your photographs, if that makes you feel any warmer for having braved the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that! I also have a layer cake of Cheery Christmas. I have a pattern in mind and think it will come together rather quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jackson is a riot! Oh...and the quilt is gorgeous too! Love this fabric collection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You picked the perfect pattern for your layer cake. So Pretty! The striped binding is a the perfect touch. I am visiting from Crazy Mom Quilt's Finish It Up Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out so cute! I love it, the striped binding is my favorite. I like your variation of the sashing as well. If you would like, I would love to share it with my viewers--and on my flickr pool too, Modern Tradition Quilts. Great job!-Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I remember this quilt. And I am delighted to see how a simple pinwheel can make such a lovely quilt. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so sweet. Jackson is his usual adorable self. Nice post for your Christmas quilts archive linky!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...