Thursday, December 11, 2014

That Very First Sewing Kit

Do you remember your very first sewing kit? 
Mine was received at Christmas many, many years ago. It was from my Aunt and Uncle from back East. (We lived on the West Coast of the United States) And I can  remember thinking that it was the very best present ever....my very own sewing kit! And yes, being the sentimental type, I still have it:
Were you young? A teenager? An adult? When you received your very first sewing kit?  I was young, probably still in elementary school, as I can remember my hands being small as I stitched the contents of this little red basket together:
Oh the combination of yarn, felt and cotton...along with embellishments of ric-rak and buttons...I was hooked! My mom taught me my first braid.  I learned to carefully stitch so spaces didn't show inbetween. I loved having my own little basket of sewing "stuff".
I felt proud to be a little like my mom who always sewed our clothes: (Yes...here you have it, an "adorable" version of myself at five years old. This was my Kindergarten Graduation and as you can tell by my expression, I was a Tomboy thinking: "I hate this hair, this dress, OMG do I really have to wear these tights...they itch!" It's okay...my mom knows, as I got in trouble for running around trying to "smoosh" that beehive down before we even left the house! I probably got a hole in those tights too! LOL!)
Kindergarten Graduation -Arizona 1970
Anyhoo...it's Christmas! Is there a young one on your list you could put a little burlap sewing kit together for? Perhaps you too will plant the seeds of a future quilter. 
(Even if they are a tomboy at heart...ya just never know!)
With smiles!
Val:)


14 comments:

  1. When my kids were little, we had a little craft box of many things and they could use their imagination. They really liked stitching with yarn on the plastic weave. Then they learned to hand and machine sew during 4-H and my boys (Scouts) made little sewing kits with plastic film canisters to keep in their camp gear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my Christmas gifts one year was one of those big plastic sewing boxes (2 levels top held thread, and other gadgets and the other you could put your project in). It came with a tomato pincushion (I still have it) a tracing wheel, pins, tape measure, scissors, and tailor's chalk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember a sewing kit but do remember making a drawstring bag in school with Sr. Agatha. we had the choice of a bag and an apron - even back then I knew I knew I was not a good cook so bag it was! Love this idea as a present for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the kindergarten graduation photo! I graduated from kindergarten the same year! I had several sewing boxes when I was little. I can't remember which one was first, perhaps the little orange box?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if you didn't like dressing up, you looked very cute. My first love was embroidery, my grandmother did lots of handwork and I really wanted to do the same. When I as 9 , I raided my mom's sewing stuff and trying to do something similar. Mom took pity on me and bought me a kit and the thread, showed me the basic stitches. I was completely hooked after that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked to sew from an early age but they never gave me my own kit. I did get a sewing box when I was in junior high when I learned to sew clothes and used it for a loooong time. I'm sentimental too! LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kindergarten graduation was a lot like that. My mom said, "One day you will want to wear dresses all the time." Hasn't happened yet. I think tomboys make wonderful quilters..... *Smile*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't get to go to K! My folks thought I was too young to walk that far by myself - Mom had phlabitis (sp?) and couldn't take me. I wasn't a tomboy either... one sister, no brothers. I don't remember my own sewing kit, but I do remember learning to embroider from my Grandma. (In my mind that trumps a sewing kit.)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Val, what a lovely, sweet post you have written! It's so wonderful that you kept your first sewing kit all these years. You do have the look of a little tomboy being forced to be a little lady. Too cute! I was the tree climbing champion of our neighborhood, so I know that look! LOL It's funny how something like that will plant the seeds of a future calling. Love your idea of making sewing kits for children now too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how good to still have the first sewing basket and its contents. Must own up to not remembering when I got a basket but know I was taught to crochet when very young, unfortunately did not keep up with it and struggle to do it and follow patterns now.
    No youngster to encourage did try with Sal my granddaughter but she is 16 now and shows no interest, her Mum does paper crafts but my other daughter is not the least bit interested although she likes me to make things for her as long as they are pink and grey

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's amazing you still have your kit. I cannot remember ever having one. I did get my daughter sewing and by the time she was 16 had made her very own quilt and it was hand quilted. She has made a few more since then but her boys and work keep her too busy for crafting... She will,get bank to it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Val!
    Great question!
    Sewing kit? Idon't remember a sewing kit. I remember hand sewing a strawberry pillow! I'll have to ask Mom next time I call! Should bring back memories!
    Take care,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a wonderful story! Such great memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. In Grade 4 or 5, my Girl Scout troop earned the Sewing Badge. One requirement was to make a sewing kit. I had it for years. I do not remember if I took it to college, but I bet I did. I know it came with me when I moved from my parent's home to an apartment and marriage. Eventually with the acquisition of a sewing machine and a need to make clothing, most tools moved to the sewing cupboard and the basket moved in with the Easter decorations. One year it was given to someone out of the family filled with Easter candy. I still miss it. Now the only object in my sewing room that I know was in my sewing kit is a tape measure which I still use and refuse to replace. It is roughly 65 years old.

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...