Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Tuesday Archives #43: Log Cabin Quilts


Val's Quilting Studio

Well happy Tuesday Archives everyone!
 Time to dig through your past posts and share any and all post that highlight a Log Cabin.

LOG CABIN QUILTS: 

I'm currently reading the The Runaway Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini (An Elm Creek Quilt Novel) and was doing a little research myself as they actually referenced to the center of the block being black and not red, as I thought was traditional for a Log Cabin Quilt.
 I found this article on the American Quilter's Society website and here is a excerpt I found interesting:
 Early Log Cabin blocks were hand-pieced using strips of fabrics around a central square. In traditional Log Cabin blocks, one half is made of dark fabrics and the other half light. A red center symbolized the hearth of home, and a yellow center represented a welcoming light in the window. Anecdotal evidence, based on oral folklore, suggests that during the Civil War, a Log Cabin quilt with a black center hanging on a clothesline was meant to signal a stop for the Underground Railroad.


I also found a free eBook from Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting which features three different types of log cabin quilting blocks. Just click the picture:



11 comments:

  1. lol does a post from Monday counts as an Archive? I'm working on a log cabin now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have log cabin quilt yet, but am now a step closer, thanks to your tip about this excellent e-book. I particularly like the "Bear in the Cabin".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a lot of log cabin variations - know that I have looked thru my archives. Hey, can't go wrong with a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks or this last party of the year Val!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Log Cabin block has such an interesting history. Thanks for sharing what you found.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is fascinating. I always thought the red center was traditional.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have quilted in a log cabin but never made a log cabin quilt. Maybe I should make a log cabin quilt whilst spending a couple of months in our Yukon log cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Val! Happy New Year! I had read that before about the black center in a log cabin. I think that is so cool that quilts were used as a signal for a stop on the Underground Railroad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one log cabin variation that I haven't finished yet...if my laser for my longarm every gets here it can finally get done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Oh….I LOVE log cabin quilts. I have one I have been sewing blocks on for s-e-v-e-r-a-l years now. Wouldn't take much to have enough blocks to finish it………sigh……maybe…….soon. LOL

    Happy New Year to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...